Tips for Mindful Studying
any study session with at least one nurturing, self-care activity.
- What is a centering activity
you can nurture yourself with?
- Try a “belly breath”, meditation, mindful snack.
- Notice what you
don’t understand in the material to be studied.
- Mark these areas.
- Keep focus on manageable
units to study (not the all the material at once)
- After studying the material:
- STOP (Stop, Take a Breath, Observe, Proceed)
- Recall what you have learned and
put it into your own words
- Summarize the material.
- Go back to what you did not understand
and reconsider the information.
- Contact external expert sources (e.g., other books or an instructor) if you still cannot understand it
- Expand your knowledge of the material, by asking
these questions of yourself:
- If I could speak to the author, what questions would I ask or what criticism would I offer?
- How could I apply this material to
what I am interested in?
- How could I make this information interesting and understandable to other students?
- Seek out another student
who you can support and co-mentor in your studies.
- Remember to support yourself with nurturing,
Adapted from Hayes, John R., The Complete Problem Solver, Lawrence Erlbaum Publishers,
Hillsdale, NJ: 1989. ISBN: 0805803092